Cancelo has four assists and one goal from 19 Premier League appearances this seasonJoao Cancelo will be part of Manchester City’s squad to face Arsenal on Saturday, with the full-back determined to play despite being injured in a robbery two days before.
The 27-year-old suffered cuts to the face after attempting to fight off a gang of four intruders at his home.
City’s medical staff have assessed the Portugal international and cleared him to play at the Emirates.
Cancelo will travel to London with the City squad on Saturday evening.
The defender posted an image of his injuries on Instagram on Thursday.
“Unfortunately today I was assaulted by four cowards who hurt me and tried to hurt my family,” he wrote.
“When you show resistance, this is what happens. They managed to take all my jewellery and leave me with my face with this state.”
Cancelo revealed he had been attacked via InstagramCancelo has been a key part of the defending champions’ march to the top of the Premier League table, appearing in all but one of City’s games in the competition this season.
He was voted into the Professional Footballers’ Association Premier League team of the season in 2020-21, having arrived at City in a £60m deal from Juventus in August 2019.
“After so many obstacles in my life, this is just one more that I will overcome,” Cancelo added.
As an 18-year-old, the Portuguese was a passenger in a car accident that killed his mother.external-link
Manchester City said in a statement they were “shocked and appalled”.
The club said: “Joao and his family are being supported by the club and he is helping the police with their enquiries as they investigate this very serious matter.”
Our coverage of Manchester City is bigger and better than ever before – here’s everything you need to know to make sure you never miss a momentEverything City – go straight to all the best content