Perth cricket fans just can’t catch a break

Perth cricket fans just can’t catch a break

Perth has already lost an Ashes Test this summer, and now the Western Australian capital could be missing out on even more cricket.

Perth has already lost an Ashes Test this summer, and now the Western Australian capital could be missing out on even more cricket.

On Monday afternoon, WA Premier Mark McGowan confirmed the state’s borders would reopen from 12.01am on Saturday, February 5 – but only to those who are fully vaccinated.

“We begin a new phase of Covid-19 management in WA,” he said.

Watch every game of the KFC Big Bash League Live & On-Demand on Kayo or catch up for FREE with minis on Kayo Freebies. Join Kayo Now >

However, an ODI match between Australia and New Zealand is scheduled to take place at Perth’s Optus Stadium on Sunday, January 30.

Mr McGowan said no exemption would be provided for the 50-over fixture, which means interstate visitors, including players and broadcast staff, must undergo 14 days of quarantine if they want to enter Western Australia before February 5.

“If they are prepared to adhere to the rules then they can hold the game of cricket,” McGowan said.

“They just need to adhere to the 14-day quarantine rules.

“So that‘s what we said to cricket, they didn’t want to do that.

“But we said the same thing to the AFL and they did want to do that so that‘s why we held the grand finals, so it’s all dependent upon them on whether they want to adhere to the rules.”

Mr McGowan said all visitors to the state’s four major stadiums – Optus Stadium, RAC Arena, HBF Stadium and HBF Park – would also have to be double dosed.

The third ODI between Australia and New Zealand is scheduled for February 5 at the SCG, and a fixture swap can potentially be negotiated.

WA Cricket said in a statement they would provide an official update on the ODI any potential BBL matches at the venue “in due course”.

“Due to this news being fresh we are discussing internally and with our stakeholders, and will provide an update in due course,” the statement read, as reported by The West Australian.

A Cricket Australia spokesperson confirmed to news.com.au that a final decision was yet to be made on the venue for the first ODI between Australia and New Zealand.

Meanwhile, the Big Bash League final is scheduled for Friday, January 28. If the Perth Scorchers, who have already won their opening two fixtures, finish in the top two spots of the ladder and win “The Qualifier”, they would earn the right to host the final in late January.

Other professional sporting codes – including the AFLW, NBL and A-League – are also expected to be impacted by the border restrictions this summer.

“Due to this news being fresh we are discussing internally and with our stakeholders, and will provide an update in due course,” the statement read.

Last week, WA Police Minister Paul Papalia accused CA of being “completely inflexible” and a “pretty poor organisation” after it announced that Perth would not be hosting the Ashes finale.

CA stripped Perth of the fifth Test after McGowan reiterated that all players, staff and broadcast personnel would need to quarantine for 14 days after flying in from Sydney, where the fourth Test is being held.

The WA government was then ruthlessly mocked after launching an audacious last-ditch bid to steal the second Test from Adelaide.

“We’ve always been completely upfront the health and safety of the state and the Western Australian people is the primary driver for government decisions around those matters,” Papalia said.

“Cricket Australia knew all along, they were completely inflexible … they were (a) pretty poor organisation in that regard.”

On Saturday, CA confirmed reports that Hobart would host the fifth Test between Australia and England – it will be the first Ashes fixture played in Tasmania, and the first time Hobart has hosted a pink-ball Test.

Mr McGowan said news of the state’s reopening would be a “cause of relief or even celebration” for some but would greatly concern others.

“After the 5th of February, cases will begin to appear in the community, that is inevitable but it will not be a cause for panic — it will be a reminder to do the right thing,” he said.

“We’re in this together and we will get through this together. I know the community will keep doing the right thing.”

The Premier reminded people to get vaccinated, keep a mask on hand and for people to stay at home and get tested if they are unwell.

“As of today over 212,000 West Australians are eligible for a third dose but only 15 per cent have received one so far,” he said.

– with Matthew Sullivan and Natalie Wolfe

Read related topics:Perth

0 Shares:
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You May Also Like